Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tonights Supper

Tonight supper was Crock Pot Chicken. But not just any crock pot chicken. This was my very first time EVER working with a whole chicken and it turned out great. Here's what I did-

1 whole chicken, (I pulled off as much skin as I could, rinsed it, and patted it dry. yuck!)
Dry rub mixer- (I think this is everything I put on it this time around. Next time I'm sure I'll try something totally new. So you should experiment and let me know how it goes for you!)
-3 tsp Seasoning Salt
-1 tsp Parsley
-1 tsp Oregano
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/2 tsp ground Cayenne Red Pepper
-1/2 tsp Curry powder
Mix all those together and rub all over inside and out of chicken.
Quarter one onion and spread in the bottom of the crock pot. place the chicken (I did it breast side up) on top of the onions. Quarter one more onion and one peeled and cored apple and push it into the inside of the chicken. Then I poured about half a cup of water in. Cook on low for about 7-8 hours.
I also quartered several potatoes and threw those on top of the chicken. A few times throughout the day I took some of the juice from the bottom of the crock pot and poured if over the chicken.

When it was ready I took the potatoes and the one apple out and mashed them together along with 3-4 tsp butter, milk, and some of the chicken juice for desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. YUM!

After supper I picked the leftover meat off the bone. The bones got boiled in water for a while. I'll used that water and the juice from the first meal along with the leftover chicken to make soup this weekend!

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Yummy! I was about to cook a whole chicken a week or two ago, but got...chicken and put it in my freezer. Now I'll have to pull it out and crock pot it!

lschuelka said...

Jessica - I am adding this to my menu planning for this week. Thanks for sharing! It sounds wonderful!!